Saturday, August 27, 2011

"Tropical Whirl" by Jennifer Brewer Stone

Tropical Whirl - final painting - 20 of 21

I search for meaning and balance in the contrast between the simple and the complex. My paintings are my children and my teachers, evidence of the constant work in progress that is the experience of creation. My interaction between the canvas and the inner and outer world is in constant flux. I have moments of great privacy where I paint and paint and have only my music and thoughts as company. Then I'll have a large reception and show my work and my studio, and I'll be wide open to other thoughts inspiring my thoughts, to outside interactions and the pleasure of communicating through art.

This dualism and desire for balance has a strong presence in my art. A canvas print of my piece Tropical Whirl is currently showing at the gallery, and in this piece there are multiple shapes and colors, but they are all balanced. The items are unified not by a focus on one, but rather by the play between elements and how the eye is guided from one shape to another following the curve of the objects. I think my love of bright color and intricate gradients is evidenced here. I'm also fascinated by the complexity of nature; any plant that I look at and think, 'that exists?' immediately perks my interest. I want to capture the awesome wonder of the beauty that is all around us, and put it in front of you. I want you to be drawn in by the experience of wonder with me.

IMG_0665

I hope you have a chance to take a look at my piece in person. It makes all the difference, especially in seeing the bright colors and gradients as they truly are. We look forward to seeing you at the gallery soon!

-Jennifer Brewer Stone
www.jennifersartgallery.com

No comments: